How to Avoid Depression in the Elderly
Because of certain life events such as the death of a loved one, losing one’s independence, or being diagnosed with an illness, seniors may experience depression. All the changes associated with aging may not yet be accepted by some people, making depression common in older adults. However, it should not be considered normal.
To help your senior loved ones cope, here are some tips to avoid depression:
- Encourage your loved ones to pick up a hobby, such as gardening. You can also get them involved in brain and body stimulating activities, such as board games, yoga, or volunteer work.
- Give them a constant dose of social interaction. It’s good for your loved ones’ mental and emotional well-being by letting them visit their friends and family and attend social events.
- Keep your senior loved ones physically active. Exercise and certain physical activities, such as walking, strength training, and other age-appropriate workouts, can help maintain and improve physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Ensure good nutrition. Make sure that your senior loved ones eat healthy and well-balanced meals. A combination of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can help satisfy their dietary needs.
- Show them that you care. Expressing how much you love and care for your loved ones is sometimes more than enough to relieve their feelings of anxiety and loneliness.
For home health services in Carolina, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at 919-937-9964.
Ideal Home Health Services Inc. offers the best home health care in Durham, North Carolina. We strive to be the authority in home health care through our top-quality services, skilled care providers, and competitive rates.
Rest assured that you are in good, reliable, and capable hands that provide compassionate care.